Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Blue Shoes and Happiness

By Alexander McCall Smith

Set in Botswana, this is the seventh in Smith’s series about the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, which is run by Precious Ramotswe with the assistance of Grace Makutsi. Mma Ramotswe is very intuitive and helps people deal with mysteries that are the stuff of every day life.

I was not familiar with this series when I picked up the book because of its cute title. Everyone knows how a new pair of beautiful shoes can make a person feel confident and attractive, even if they do make your feet hurt. I pretty much enjoyed the story, though it was very different from any mystery novel I had ever read before in that no one is murdered. I didn’t really identify much with the characters though and I thought Smith’s tone towards the Africans in the story was a little patronizing. But overall it was a good read, if only to get a taste of another culture.

Publishers Weekly review:  https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-375-42272-0.

No comments: