Sunday, October 22, 2006

Mockingbird

By Charles J. Shields

I first saw the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird," on TV when I was a kid. I liked it even though I doubt now that I understood what it was about. I later read the novel by Harper Lee, which I also liked. It was one of those stories that stick with you even after decades have gone by. So when I saw this biography of Harper Lee, I decided to give it a go. Harper Lee has become a recluse and doesn't give interviews, but still Shields' biography of her might give some insight into the woman and her famous, prize-winning (Pulitzer in 1961) novel.
I did enjoy the book. It gives a lot of info about Nelle Harper Lee. It gives the background of the novel and talks about her years in New York City and of her work with Truman Capote on his book, In Cold Blood. I found it worth reading even though Shields was not able to interview Lee. The main thing I got out of the book was that when Lee wrote To Kill a Mockingbird she was basically writing the story of her childhood in the small town where she grew up.

Review from BookPage:  https://bookpage.com/reviews/4701-charles-j-shields-mockingbird-portrait-harper-lee#.Wk3acvCnFtQ.


No comments: