Saturday, October 21, 2006

Without Fail

By Lee Child

Jack Reacher is this weird guy who doesn't have a place to live or own a car or have a driver's license (I think) or credit cards. He doesn't even own a suitcase. He lives off a bank account and if his clothes get dirty he goes and buys new ones and tosses the dirty ones away. I'm not sure what his background is. I think he is some kind of ex-military, special ops kind of guy. This is only the second Reacher novel I have read. The other one was One Shot. Anyway, Reacher is this loner, highly competent fellow who takes on the bad guys and wins.
In this story, Jack Reacher briefly joins the Secret Service to become part of the team that is protecting the Vice President-elect from assassins. There is the usual guns and shootings and car chases associated with this type of story.

Jack Reacher is a very likable and upstanding man. One wishes such a good guy could have a happier life. But I guess that would spoil the story. Jack Reacher is what makes these stories worth reading. He is heroic. I enjoyed this story. Not because I like the genre. But because I like Jack Reacher.

Review from BookPage:   https://bookpage.com/reviews/2386-lee-child-without-fail#.Wk8XRPCnFtQ.

No comments: