Wednesday, April 15, 2015

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust

By Alan Bradley

Precocious child chemist and amateur detective Flavia de Luce has been sent to school from her home in Britain to Canada.
Flavia is once again plunged into a mystery on her first night at the school when a burned body falls out of the fireplace chimney in her bedroom. So naturally Flavia has to investigate this. But her investigation reveals that Miss Bodycote's Female Academy is a very strange and peculiar institution, with sinister students and teachers and that much is expected of Flavia beyond the ordinary studies.

I don't know why I picked up this book. I didn't care for the first one I read and I didn't like this one either. At least Flavia is not as bratty as she was in the other book, maybe because she is away from her family.
I didn't grasp what the deal was with this boarding school or a lot of other details in the novel. It seemed like a rather confusing mish-mosh and I didn't understand the mystery or the reasons behind it.
I gave the first book a rating of fair, but I disliked this one even more.

No comments: