Friday, March 02, 2018

Unorthodox Practices

By Marissa Piesman

"Well, in  nutshell, this is what's happened to date," Ida said. "I've had a cockroach problem that I've been battling for years. My neighbor Mrs. Gross, on the other hand, never seemed to have any roaches. After she died, my son-in-law wanted to take a look at her apartment. He thought he might want to buy and resell it."        "Did Mrs. Gross own it?" asked Grant?          "No, she was a non-purchasing tenant. A few years after the building converted, the original landlord sold her apartment to a Netherlands Antilles corporation. Anyway, I went with my son-in-law and a real estate agent to look at the apartment and noticed that there was absolutely no evidence of roaches. There was also a white powder spread around the place that was clearly a method of exterminating. That reminded me of the fact that this Netherlands Antilles corporation had always sent a special exterminator to Mrs. Gross's apartment. They never used the regular building exterminator."      "How did you know that?" asked Grant.          "As a member of the board of directors, I am in close contact with the managing agent who had mentioned it to me over the years. Also, I had discussed the matter with Mrs. Gross. We were friendly." ......       "Anyway," Ida continued, "after I saw Mrs. Gross's empty apartment, I was very impressed with how roach-free it was. I decided to call that exterminator to see if he would do my apartment also. But the lawyer who is the contact person for the owner of the apartment refused to give me the name. He was surprisingly hostile and defensive to my innocent request. So Nina and I went back to the apartment with the real-estate agent and stole samples of the white powder. ...... Then we gave the samples to my son-in-law to have them chemically analyzed. He called today to tell me that the samples taken from the kitchen contained digitalis in a fairly high quantity." .....        "The digitalis was only in the kitchen sample....Clearly Mrs. Gross was meant to eat it. I'm sure she was poisoned....I don't know how she ingested it. But I'm convinced we have a murder on our hands."

 And that is the plot, as it says, in a nutshell. Someone is killing off old ladies. It will be up to Nina and Ida to figure out exactly who and why.

This was a good read. I enjoyed it tremendously. It is a murder mystery, but the emphasis is really on Nina and her life in New York City. It is not your typical murder mystery, no blood is shed and no one ever threatens or attempts to kill Nina or her mom, Ida. It is just a really good story.


1 comment:

troutbirder said...

I do like a good mystery especially this icy winter when it isn't even safe to take the dog out for a walk. Thanks for sharing...:)