Saturday, February 19, 2022

Lore Olympus


By Rachel Smythe


Mount Olympus, but in modern times: the gods have cars, apartments, cell phones. New girl in town is innocent Persephone who attends her first adult party and drinks too much. As a joke, a boyish god put her, passed out, in the back of Hades' car. Hades leaves the party and heads home to the Underworld and so Persephone finds herself in his kingdom. They kind of hit it off and Hades gives her a white fur coat to wear because it is cold in the Underworld. He then takes her back to her apartment. 

Once she gets back, the other gods tend to tease her about her feelings for her new boyfriend. She sends Hades a message but number shows as unknown so he just deletes. His lack of response confuses Persephone about whether they had a connection or not. Complications ensue.


Did I really need a retelling of the myths of the Greek/Roman gods? No. I have no affinity for myth and superstition.  Frankly, I only picked up the book because I was in a hurry and I couldn't find anything better and I was looking for an easy read to soothe a stressful day. So this book was definitely not for me. Gods and myths don't interest me.


Here is a review by Etelka Lehoczky on NPR.


No comments: