Sunday, February 25, 2024

They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?

 

By Patrick F. McManus


A collection of funny hunting, camping, fishing and childhood antics stories. I don't know much about McManus, but I would guess that he was passionate about outdoor life. But he enjoyed looking at the funny side of it. 

In my opinion, his best stories are the ones he tells about his childhood. These are what I would call tall tales though I suppose they have some foundation in reality. His stories based on his adult adventures are still quite funny but I love the kid ones best.


This collection includes:

  • All You Ever Wanted to Know About Live Bait but Were Afraid to Ask
  • The Green Box
  • Skunk Dog
  • Cold Fish
  • The Rifle
  • They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?
  • My First Deer, and Welcome to It
  • The Crouch Hop and Other Useful Outdoor Steps
  • Meanwhile, Back at the B Western
  • The Education of a Sportsman
  • The Gift
  • The Sensuous Angler
  • And Now Stay Turned for "The Camp Chef"
  • The Heartbreak of Astigmatism
  • Sneed
  • The Hunter's Dictionary
  • Tenner Shoes
  • Reading Sign
  • Tying My Own
  • Psychic Powers for Outdoorsmen
  • The Fishing Lesson
  • The Hunting Camp
  • If You Don't Mind, I'll Do It Myself!
  • Useful Outdoor Comments
  • Journal of an Expedition

So far, every McManus collection I have read has been a real joy. All the stories are funny and some are plain hilarious. And you really don't need to be someone who hunts, camps, hikes, fishes to enjoy them. They are just such an enjoyable read!


No comments: