Saturday, July 29, 2023

Texts From Jane Eyre

 

By Mallory Ortberg


What if characters from stories and mythology could text? Author Mallory Ortberg imagines what characters from literary works such as King Lear, Oliver Twist, Daisy Miller, and even more modern works like Sweet Valley High and Atlas Shrugged would text about. 


Here is a sample of the sort texts you will find in the book, this one featuring Jane Eyre (J) and Edward Rochester (E).


E: So you're really not coming then

J: I'm really not

E: I would be an amazing husband you know that?

J: I know

E: I taught you Hindi and everything That's basically the same as getting engaged for missionaries

J: And I really appreciate that It will be terribly useful in my career as an English governess

E: See? That There. that is exactly the kind of tone I mean One round of cholera in the tropics would sear that sarcasm right out of you

J: guess I really missed out

E: Guess so

 

This was an okay read. But it would have been a lot more enjoyable if I knew more about the characters and the literary works. It's been decades since I was in school and I don't remember much about most of those stories and plays, etc. And a lot of them I have never read, such as Les Misérables, The Sun Also Rises, Great Expectations, and Atlas Shrugged, to name just a few. And those I have read, like King Lear or Moby-Dick, were so long ago, I have mostly forgotten all but the very basic facts about them. I was the wrong audience for this book. 


No comments: